GSSA Gay Straight Student Association
The Gay Straight Student Association is committed to promote a welcoming climate for sexual-minority students (i.e., Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender) and non-sexual-minority students who are interested in working together to achieve a better understanding of the GLBT population. It strives to enhance training and research in GLBT counseling and psychotherapy.
As part of its mission the GSSA seeks to
- Provide an advising and support service for sexual minority students.
- Provide non-sexual minority students with a better understanding of the needs, lifestyles, assessment and psychotherapy with the GLBT population.
- Encourage research in GLBT issues.
- Represent the Center for Psychological Studies at national and international conventions in the specific area of GLBT counseling and psychotherapy.
- Provide in service colloquia and other seminars in the area of GLBT counseling and psychotherapy.
- Assist the Director of Academic Affairs and the Director of Clinical Training in modifying and augmenting professional training in the area of GLBT counseling and psychotherapy.
- Provide outreach volunteer services in order to assist the local GLBT population.
Consistent with its mission the GSSA has also become active in various community service venues. For example, GSSA was a co-sponsor and members served as volunteers at the SunServe Social Services Center. This organization holds an annual GLBT family conference entitled “Valuing Our Families”. GSSA members have also volunteered their time at the Poverello Center (a local HIV/AIDS community based food bank and thrift store) and at the Fort Lauderdale Gay and Lesbian Community Center (GLCC).
The GSSA is currently advised by Dr. Moragne. The GSSA encourages everyone to attend its meetings.
2010-2011 Executive Board
|Vice President||David Bright|
|Outreach Volunteer Coordinator||Jessi Wilson|
|Social Chair||Courtney Cantrell|
|Social Chair||Kristie Brandt|
|Public Relations||Maya Pignatore|
|First Year Representative||Caroline Avitabile|
|Faculty Advisor||Dr. Moragne|